Milling is one of the most effective machines to cut edge of the materials. It’s very obvious to deal with unsmooth, uneven, or curved material’s edges. Certainly, you need to know how to use a milling machine. And there are several reasons to know manual milling operation.
However, being a workshop owner or a craftsman, you mostly have to get through a lot for making the edges perfect for the projects.
Finally, your struggle will be ended if you have a milling machine. Milling machines are not as complex as it is seen.
You may thing this big machine which looks so complicated will be very hard to operate, right? Well, that’s not the final case!
How To Use A Milling Machine Without Expert’s Help
Whether you’re working in any workshop, construction site, or you’re a DIYer, you must have to acquire a perfect knowledge for operating the milling machines.
If you know how to use milling machine step by step then you will not be limited to only one task. You will be surprised to know that there are many uses of milling machine in the industry.
Once you get expert knowledge in operating milling machine, you will get vast of job opportunities in many sector materials worlds. And the most amazing fact is the salary a milling machine operator gets is higher than you’ve assumed ever.
So, many opportunities may cross your ways when you know the manual milling machine operation like you have more opportunities to earn money if you know CNC .
If you go through online pages or newspapers, there are many highly paid jobs opportunities are available for the milling operator.
However, you can build your professional career with a snap!
Whatever the advantages you get, first of all, you have to know the step by step process to use a milling machine.
Guideline To Operate A Milling Machine
- First of all, look carefully into the machine, you will see a handle. That’s the handle that you’ve to move. You may also notice a rapid switch on the X-axis. On that axis, you can move the table while operating. Always remember, you can only move the table backward and forward on the X-axis.
- Now, it’s the turn to recognize Z-axis. Z-axis is an important factor to become familiar with. Because you can move the table up and down in Z-axis. Likewise, X-axis, you have to use the handle and the rapid switch to make the spindle closer to you. That’s all and you can start operating!
- What about the gear? Gear is another thing that determines the speed of the machine. So, you need to know its behavior very closely. You may notice H and L on the machine which identifies high gear and low gear. High gear is for those operations where fast speed is needed and low gear produces lower speed for the random cutting tasks. Low gear is mostly used to make holes using a bigger drill. Else, there is less use of the low gears in the cutting operations and high spindle speed is mostly used in all kinds of milling operations.
- After gear, we are coming to the spindle. You can operate the spindle using the switch. It has two directions to circulate; one is forward and another in reverse. Its forward turn is for the high gear operations and reverse turn is for the lower gear operations. To get a smoother finish, you can machine in the high gear and it results in the faster RPM. You also get variable options to change the speed to fulfill the demand of the work.
- If you want to make a hole in the parts then quill plays a vital role. Quill has a long handle that can be moved up and down to make a hole using the attached drill.
Whenever it’s CNC plasma table or manual milling machine operation, you’ve to consider your safety first. Though you’re pretty much expertise about milling machine operation, you can end up being in a risky situation for your unsecured step.
However, you must have to wear safety apron, glasses, gloves, and mask. Make sure you’re paying attention to what you’re doing and stay focused on the component and machine.
Are you a professional milling machine operator? Share your real stories with us in the comment section. Most importantly, if you know any better way to operate the milling machines then feel free to share with us.
Meanwhile, we and our dedicated readers will be thankful to you!
|1||Klutch Mini Milling Machine - 350 Watts, 1/2 HP, 110V||See Price|
|2||WEN 33013 4.5A Variable Speed Single Phase Compact Benchtop Milling Machine with R8 Taper||See Price|
|3||PROXXON MICRO Mill MF 70, 37110||See Price|